Saturday, October 11, 2008

Amsterdam Whitney Gallery, NYC

I received an e-mail the other day from the Amsterdam Whitney Gallery in NYC that opened "A Collector has recently brought your art to my attention, and I have been most impressed by your compelling and exciting artworks." They have asked for my bio and portfolio, so what the heck. I am putting it all together for them and we'll see what happens. I feel like I did when I was in my twenties and received a bouquet of flowers signed "a secret admirer". Who is this collector?
Also, on the gallery front, I've been asked to show three paintings at a brand new gallery opening "La Galeria Gitana" here in the San Fernando Valley. I am going to meet the curator and see the space this coming Wednesday. I'm excited, as this area is earmarked for development as an arts center, with a theatre down the street and other galleries opening up.
I plan to start up my Saturday children's class soon, so leave a comment and e-mail address for more information. 

7 comments:

Mary Kay Wilson said...

What good news you have! I hope something comes of the Amsterdam Whitney email. I've added your blog to my reading list.
Good Luck,
Mary Kay

Jude Wiesenfeld said...

Thank you, Mary Kay. My portfolio when out to them...now it's just "We'll see..."

mgirll said...

Hi Jude, I just received that same email from Amsterdam Whitney Gallery. Did it go something like this.

A Collector has recently brought your art to my attention, and I have been most impressed by your c ompelling and exciting artworks.

AMSTERDAM WHITNEY GALLERY, a premier, museum-forum gallery, also known as “the most beautiful gallery in Chelsea,” - the unrivaled international art center of the world - would like to invite you to submit your portfolio for curatorial review with a long-term prospective of Gallery Representation.

I have a feeling it's a pay to play gallery.

Good luck with your art.

Jude Wiesenfeld said...

Jill is right...the Amsterdam Whitney Gallery NYC is a pay to play gallery. I hate that legit artists waste their time (like myself), just to be told they would be happy to rep you for $2000...what a drag.

byrononeal said...

Thanks for the information! It appears that I got the same form letter in the mail today and this will save me quite a bit of time/expense. Keep up the good information strings.

I really hate this kind of thing where you are asked to pay to play after spending precious dollars to present yourself in a professional manner.

smedpeter said...

And they still go on, in November 2009, and December 2009 my friend Tanja and I have got invitations "to submit portfolio"...my goodness, their gallery looks more like a furniture store... Also beware of WAM and the Broadway Gallery, seem to be the same kind of people there : 1100 dollars for a place on their website.
My goodness.

geeksupreme said...

And eight years later, here I am getting an email from them requesting I submit my portfolio. I figured it was too good to be true. But Googling the gallery has shown me it would cost $2,000+ to basically have bragging rights of being in a NYC gallery and nothing more. Think of the art supplies that could buy.